Thursday, December 10, 2009

This Weeks Organic Produce!

please note: there was some confusion when I posted my delivery a few weeks ago. I do not grow the produce pictured, it is courtesy of Boston Organics. Their mission is to deliver organic produce, focusing on convenience, variety and value. Whenever possible they support local & regional farms by providing as much produce as possible from the region. When they cannot provide local produce they receive produce from a variety of farms along the eastern seaboard, northern california, the pacific northwest, & tropical fruit from equal exchange organic farms in central america. My girlfriend and I have been receiving a $29 dollar 1/2 fruit 1/2 vegetable box every other week for the last 18 months. We don't pick what comes in the box (though they do have a 'no list') and have been really impressed with their customer service. The few times we had a problem with certain produce they responded promptly and provided us with additional items at our next delivery-free of charge!

On to the details:
Regional produce included:
1 lbs Empire Apples (VT),
8oz Bagged Baby Spinach (VT)
1 lbs Carrots (MA)
1 lbs Purple Top Turnips (MA)
1.5 lbs Yukon Potatoes (MA)
1 Green Cabbage (MA)
Beyond our region:
2 Bosc Pears (CA)
2 Cara Cara Oranges (FL)
2 Orlando Tangelos (FL)
2 Satsuma Mandarins (CA)
1 bunch Broccoli (CA)
1 head Red Leaf Lettuce (CA)
1.5 lbs Fair Trade Bananas (Ecuador)
.25lb Yellow Ginger (location unknown)

The cabbage and yellow ginger were not on the original delivery list, but we had a problem with the sweet potatoes we received thanksgiving week. Their warehouse manager said he would provide a little something extra with our next delivery and he did!
I'm posting what we get in our deliveries for 2 reasons: (1) Though this is primarily a gardening blog, I also like to cook- supporting organic farms whether through a CSA or program such as this is a good idea and (2) its a good way for me to keep track of what we get and where it comes from.
One thing I really like is that much of the produce that does come from Massachusetts is coming from the same farms I support when I visit our local farmers markets in the spring/summer/fall. (Enterprise Farm & Atlas Farm are 2 of my favorites).
I did make a 'regional' dinner which I will share a photo/write-up of tomorrow.

No comments: