Tuesday, November 16, 2010

more Baking!

As previously mentioned I am working to expand my baking skills. With that in mind I had some serious practice last week. Friday I attempted Focaccia and a true Sourdough and Sunday I baked some Cheddar and Leek Muffins! The results were mixed but leaned toward satisfying and worth an encore performance.
First off the above focaccia was fluffy inside, had a nice crunchy crust and was packed with flavor. I sprinkled sage, oregano minced garlic and shredded parmigiano-reggiano. A little more practice and I'll be adding this to my regular food making rotation.

Next up is the below 2 loaves of sourdough I made using King Arthur's extra tangy sourdough recipe as my guide.

The final product was tangy, but ended up being a little too dense for me to consider it truly successful. The crust also left something to be desired. Nevertheless the results were edible. Certainly a bread which resembles sourdough, but not quite there yet.

Last up were the delicious Cheddar and Leek Muffins from Apartment Therapy sub-site The Kitchn.
In short, these muffins were full of savory fall flavor, and weren't all that difficult to make. I highly suggest heading to the above link and baking a dozen or 5 right now! Just look at the final product:

Up next is most probably another soda bread, another attempt at sourdough, and something random and fun.


johanna said...

Those look fantastic along with the other items in.
I need to acquire a little more patience for making bread but you are surly tempting me.

Veggie PAK said...

Boy! I like the bread, but those muffins look absolutely delicious!

Fred said...

Johanna- I have no baking skill whatsoever. I simply found something I wanted to learn to make (sourdough bread) and went from there!
Veggie PAK - The muffins are fantastic and weren't that challenging, give them a shot!

Robin said...

I'm the baker around here.... but I have to admit that I have never baked a loaf of bread! Every winter I think that I will try my hand at it. Maybe this year...yours looks great!

Fred said...

Robin - If I can do it anyone can! Get in touch if you want some really easy recipes to start with!

henbogle said...

The muffins look fantastic. I love savory muffins, so I will definitely be giving these a try.

Have you ever tried the No-Knead bread recipe? It was in the NYTimes a few years ago and caused a minor sensation among foodie bloggers. It does make awesome bread, and the baking technique translates well for other breads. I'm thinking the sourdough recipe would do well with that technique.