Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Testing Garlic

As I mentioned on Monday Gail and I pulled some garlic this week as 'testers' for what is still in the ground. We previously pulled a few weaker stalks and ate he small heads as green garlic, along with some garlic scapes.
We pulled a random sampling of garlic plants and ended up with 3 more heads of green garlic as well as 3 heads of normal garlic - 2 softneck 1 hardneck that are drying out ahead of the main harvest which will come in the next few weeks.
Here is a better look at the garlic that made it home with us on Monday.
These 'spring garlic' heads are just a little smaller then their full size counterparts:
Here are the 3 bigger heads that we pulled:
As you can see the we wrapped the softnecks around the hardneck and are drying them together in our kitchen:

With space limited this is good practice for when we have much more to dry all at once.
All in all the garlic has been fairly successful so far. The cloves were planted a little to close together, so some heads have come out smaller then I would like but overall it is a minor adjustment I can make for next year!

1 comment:

Daphne said...

I keep watching my garlic. It should be ready to pull in about a week. I can't wait for it. I'll dry it in the bike shed. And the shed will smell wonderful if very overpowering.