Friday, October 28, 2011

Hearty Beef Stew

diced leftover brisket ready for the crockpot
With so much leftover brisket and carrots from Saturday's great taste of fall dinner I had to find a way to use some of the leftover brisket because there is no way I could eat so many leftovers, no matter how hard I tried!!
I went for the obvious and easy choice: Beef Stew!
On Tuesday afternoon while working form home I fired up the crock pot and made a pot of hearty beef stew.
nice and hearty
 No recipe needed here.Very simple stew: leftover brisket diced, leftover roasted carrots, diced potatoes, onion, garlic, beef stock, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, & a dash of black pepper.  I saved most of the jus/gravy from the briskets and used some as the base of my beef stock. After 5-6 hours in the crock pot  the final product was perfect on a chilly fall night.  The original brisket, and resulting beef stew was good enough that even Gail, a  longtime vegetarian helped herself to a small portion!
the beef stew goes great with a heel of bread 
Over the course of the week Gail and I both slowly progressed to feeling fairly shitty. A nice hot bowl of stew really hit the spot. The remaining couple of portions have found their way into the freezer for enjoyment later in the winter.

No comments: