Monday, May 21, 2012

Harvest Monday May 21, 2012

This week marks the first harvest of the season! Though we've harvested a few chives, a bit of sage, and one horseradish root already it was all harvested while we were in the process of cleaning and planting for this season so this weekend was our first harvest from what we've planted this season, as well as chives - the gift that keeps on giving! 
Saturday we arrived at the garden ready to plant our warm weather crops and some more herbs, but first we had a little bit of harvesting and thinning to take care of.
Our first harvest of the season
Thought it wasn't a huge harvest it was a tangible one. We took home:
Radish 5.25 oz
Chives 6 oz
Arugula 12 oz
Total harvest this week: 23.25 oz / 1.453 lbs
Total harvest this season: 34.65 oz / 2.166 lbs
It's been a hectic few weeks which has kept us away from the garden for the most part, so it was nice to  have something delicious to bring home when we finally did make it there!
Hopefully this harvest will be the first of many!!
If you want to see what others are harvesting or share in your own bounty, stop by Daphne's Dandelions the home of Harvest Monday.

7 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I keep thinking of horseradish. I've been told it can grow in the shade. But it would be another pot I would have to water as I'm not willing to put it directly in the ground to spread.

Fred said...

Boy does it spread!!! We planted some horseradish in the corner of one bed last spring, harvested most of it this spring and now have quite a few volunteers popping up.
Based on how gnarly the root structure is, you'd better have a big pot!

Mary Hysong said...

I'm not sure I would use enough horseradish to warrant the space and water of planting it myself... unless it's one of those things that are so good homegrown that you use more of than normal?

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Your chive blossoms are beautiful!

Andrea said...

Great first harvest for the season, how did you enjoy the strawberries? I'm not sure weather mine would make into a dish.............
Chives are a great veggie to grow, so many uses.........my favorite chopped with a little parsley with scrambled eggs.......Yum !

Meal Delivery Reviews said...

Can't say I'm rather fine with horseradish here in my place. Perhaps I should place it in a pot.

Shaheen said...

Hey Fred do hope your well, I hae been away from blogging a little while and back to it, so catching up on my blog fellows, hope your well.