Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chive Blossoms

We harvested more chives this week, specifically those with open blossoms. I wanted to make a small batch of chive blossom vinegar. Unfortunately my choice of jar was small, and the chive blossoms were a little cramped:
It would have been better if this plan wasn't spur of the moment, all we had on hand was distilled white vinegar and cider. I went with the cider option producing an interesting mix of colors:
The remaining chive blossoms that come from the garden will find their way into various salads.
Do you eat your chive blossoms or use them for anything??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chive blossoms are delicious in salads and cheese sandwiches :-)

PS, the word verification word is "juntater" I wish I were getting some June taters!

Fred said...

Henbogle- Putting them in cheese sandwiches sounds great! We put them in salads, but we had so many at once this year that I wanted to use them and this was a simple easy way!
I wish I was getting any taters this year! After last year when most were dug up by voles i'm not growing potatoes until I have some real space for them.